Re: QR Moree extension

Barry Campbell (campblbm@ozemail.com.au) wrote:

>David Bromage wrote in message <6m7dv4$g7j$1@gruvel.une.edu.au>...
>
><snip>
>
>>If Charleville can support a passenger service, I'm sure Goondawindi/Moree
>>could too.
>>
>Can Charleville support a passenger service? I'll bet it can't. I'll bet it
>only gets one now for political (oops social) reasons.

It was cut back from Cunnamulla and Quilpie for political reasons!  The
inland trains are not really more than glorified mixed trains, albeit with
a dining car, sleeping cars and air conditioning. QR never intended these
services to generate profit, merely as a service to the population of the
inland. Unfortunately politicians started meddling and cut back services
to Cunnamulla, Quilpie, Winton, Dirranbandi and Forsayth.

It doesn't cost any less to run a goods to Dirranbandi today than it did
when the passenger car/van was attached. They carry drovers on the trains
in special cars, so why not ordinary passengers?

You'd only need to run a train, say, twice weekly as a composite sleeping
car and a sitting car attached to a container train. Toowoomba (for
dinner) and Goondawindi (for breakfast) have refreshment rooms so you
shouldn't need a dining car.

Cheers
David