Classification of CityRail sets. (Was: More Cityrail trouble...)

On Tue, 09 Jun 1998 06:43:43 +0000, John Clifton
<jclifton@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>The current issue of SETS' magazine "Under The Wires" has a picture  on
>the rear cover taken from the 1982 Public Timetable of a four car set of
>Com-Eng/Goninan cars comprising 2 x 2 car T sets. The target plate shows
>T50. Interestingly this train is marshalled D-M-M-D ie with the motor
>cars in the centre of the set and the driving trailers at the ends of
>the set.

Does anyone, particularly our resident electric train drivers and
guards, known why in the late 70's and early 80's there were no qualms
about having Driving trailers at the end of 4 and 8 car consists,
whilst it seems that now when L sets form part of longer consists,
great care is taken in marshalling to ensure that driving trailers are
not at the end of consists.

Albert Alcoceba
alberta@zip.com.au
http://www.zip.com.au/~alberta