Re: More CityRail trouble ....

On Sat, 30 May 1998 05:51:26 +1000, "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>I can remember a few years ago, watching all the red rattlers being sold of
>for scrap, I thought, wouldn't it be a great idea to make them into single
>carraige units just like buses and get rid of the night riders. But then I
>thought, the freight operators would be very miffed about not having sole
>access from midnight to 5:00am.

Why not do it with something a bit nicer, like Tangara cars.

I don't think it will happen, though, because not only will single
operator buses (with easier police access if needed) be replaced by 2
man trains, but all the safe stations in the network will then need to
be manned with security guards for those extra hours, in order to meet
safe station commitments.

The other thing is that everyone who catches the nightride needs to
buy a ticket, which cannot be said about late night trains.

In short it would cost heaps for doubtful improvement in  passenger
security.

Paul
CityRail SM

Paul