Re: More on the maglev

Wollongong Quokka wrote in message <6pcoad$6pf$1@the-fly.zip.com.au>...
>David Bromage wrote in message <6pclau$7b5$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
>>Consider an elderly passenger who is slow getting to his/her seat. Are
>>they going to hold the train until everybody is seated? What would
that do
>>for their timings?
>

>Oh come on... it's an *express* train, operating over long distances.
>People will be aware of that when they get on.  Also, as it happens,
MagLev
>is indeed on separate track.  You have plenty of opportunity to explain
>people that they need to be seated, if this is indeed true.
>
>All I can read into this argument is that you are saying the MagLev is
too
>good on this front.  It is capable of *better* than the TGV.
>
>As to how this capability is used... that can be decided as needs
require.
>If you're going to have a frequently stopping train, fine, don't
accelerate
>as hard as you can.  If you're not going for frequent stops, get people
>be seated before you leave and go for it.  If there is a class of
people who
>may have trouble, make special arrangements for them.

Rapid acceleration/deceleration will only make a significant difference
in travel time if there are many vehicle stops.  On a long distance,
non-stop journey, the difference in travel time for a trip needing just
ONE acceleration (rapid vs.. slow) and ONE deceleration (rapid vs..
slow) will not be significant.

It the routes with frequent stops that need vehicles with rapid
acceleration.  This is why light rail is so successful in urban
environments.