Re: More on the maglev

Wollongong Quokka (quokka@zip.net.au) wrote:
> What would be wrong with that?  If you're getting a huge time saving over
> normal rail, I for one would be more than happy with it.

Pity any passengers who aren't quite seated yet, or maybe down at the
buffet.

> Now give us the acceleration figures for the TGV.

Typically 0.03g for a TGV, ICE or Shinkansen.

> How many stops would there be anyway?  Not that many... let's say Heathcote,
> Wollongong, Moss Vale, Goulburn, Canberra.  Services to Melbourne would be
> unlikely to stop at all of these.

Thyssen Transrapid hasn't even considered anything beyond Canberra.

> If you're going to attack the MagLev, you don't do yourself any good getting
> to things as flimsy as this.  By all means, attack it... but do it properly.

That's just the point. The acceleration is at least 3 times what most
railways consider the maximum for reasonable passenger comfort.

I'm sure others can think of many reasons why 0.1g is unsuitable for rail.
Consider an elderly passenger who is slow getting to his/her seat. Are
they going to hold the train until everybody is seated? What would that do
for their timings?

Cheers
David