Re: More on the maglev

David Bromage wrote in message <6pbtbe$iug$4@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
>I've been going through the maglev web site with a fine tooth comb trying
>to pick holes in their figures.

Just out of interest have you been doing the same to the TGV?

>One thing they do say is that a transrapid can accelerate from 0 to
>300km/h in 3800m, or 0 to 500km/h in 5000m.

[snip]

>A transrapid pulling away from a station would feel much like
>an aircraft taking off. I for one wouldn't find that very comfortable
>on a service with several stops.

What would be wrong with that?  If you're getting a huge time saving over
normal rail, I for one would be more than happy with it.

Now give us the acceleration figures for the TGV.

How many stops would there be anyway?  Not that many... let's say Heathcote,
Wollongong, Moss Vale, Goulburn, Canberra.  Services to Melbourne would be
unlikely to stop at all of these.

If you're going to attack the MagLev, you don't do yourself any good getting
to things as flimsy as this.  By all means, attack it... but do it properly.

--
Robs the Wollongong Quokka
http://profiles.yahoo.com/Wollongong_Quokka/