Re: More on the maglev

David Bromage wrote in message <6pclau$7b5$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
>Consider an elderly passenger who is slow getting to his/her seat. Are
>they going to hold the train until everybody is seated? What would that do
>for their timings?

Oh come on... it's an *express* train, operating over long distances.
People will be aware of that when they get on.  Also, as it happens, MagLev
is indeed on separate track.  You have plenty of opportunity to explain to
people that they need to be seated, if this is indeed true.

All I can read into this argument is that you are saying the MagLev is too
good on this front.  It is capable of *better* than the TGV.

As to how this capability is used... that can be decided as needs require.
If you're going to have a frequently stopping train, fine, don't accelerate
as hard as you can.  If you're not going for frequent stops, get people to
be seated before you leave and go for it.  If there is a class of people who
may have trouble, make special arrangements for them.

For example, on the new CityCats in Brisbane they have signs everywhere
warning that the boat is capable of stopping very quickly should it be
necessary, so passengers should make sure they are holding onto something at
all times.  It's not hard to be different from the norm if need be.

In the case of MagLev, you might end up requiring passengers to be seated
while passing up or down the Illawarra Escarpment.

I still say "so what?".

People will know full well the MagLev isn't a normal train.  The MagLev
doesn't need to be marketed as one.

--
Robs the Wollongong Quokka
http://profiles.yahoo.com/Wollongong_Quokka/