Re: VFT letter

On 21 Jul 1998 07:08:57 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
wrote:

>Add a 45 min cab ride to JFK, 20 mins check in, 15 mins baggage claim and
>a 30 min cab ride at your destination. Here's what you get:
>
>Phiadelphia	2h40
>Baltimore	3h00
>Washington DC	3h10

>From my observation most folks who do one leg only shuttle flights in
the US don't have any baggage to claim and seem to have minimal check
in as well, so you should probably allow no more than 10 mins for
check in and knock the 15 mins for baggage claim off the end for a
fairer comparison.

>And so we move on to Sydney to Canberra. The 50 minute flight becomes 100
>minsute at best between city centres, but a more realistic time would be 2
>hours.

A lot of domestic traffic to Canberra originates further afield than
Sydney and would require long haul plane journey in any case. Once you
are "in" the airline system the time potential time attractiveness of
changing to rail for just one leg is largely lost.... plus the train
probably wont give frequent flyer points

That doesn't mean a high speed rail link to Canberra wouldn't be
useful or viable, but there's no point in attributing to it benefits
which cannot be realistically realised.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton                 billbolton@computer.org