Re: Mildura Pass via Daylesford 1941???

leSun, 28 Jun 1998 19:26:05 GMT,  ecrivait:

>Hi All
>
>Does anyone know anymore about the Mildura pass that was routed via
>Daylesford in August 1941. Apparently the pass was diverted due to a
>derailment at Moolort near Maryborough. On arrival at Daylesford the
>local locomotive for the morning pass (D3)? Hauled the train from
>Daylesford to Creswick with the train engine following Light Loco.
>The loco normally used for this train was an A2,  were these locos
>allowed to operate between Carlsruhe and North Creswick?
>Or was an exemption granted due to the emergency situation,
>apparently the train was passing thru Clarkefield when it was decided
>to divert.
>
>Any further info would be helpful.

Dear Anthony

It's taken a while but I finally unearthed my WTT for Northern &
Midland Districts for the period "...on and after 28th October, 1940."

It shows firstly that an A2 axle load was 17t 10c. An A1 was 17t 3c
while that for a D3 was 13t 14c. on that subject, a D1 was rated at
12t 10 c and for a D2 it was 13t 2c. A D4 tank was rated at an axle
load of 15t 2c.

Quite a a difference wouldn't you believe?

I think you would have to assume that there was possibly motre
likelihood of locos other than an A2 or a D3 as there were several
A1s, A2s and D1s and D2s.

As far as the speed of engines or trains allowed to run on various
lines, there were two post Daylesford sections, viz Daylesford to
Newlyn and Newlyn to North Creswick. D4 and lighter could run between
Newlyn and North Creswick while N110 and lighter could operate between
Daylesford and Newlyn.

Clearly, A2s were not normally permitted to run between North Creswick
and Daylesford or to Carlsruhe (same limits as Daylesford to Newlyn).
 Train speeds are shown as 25 mph (to D4s where permitted) to 40 mph
for non K or N classes. An A1 wa just under two tons axle load over
the limit and may have been permitted to sneak along the line.

As you say, funny things happen in wartime!

Cheers

Brian Dunn