Re: VFT letter

<<<<<<And with a Transport and Oil Lobby powerfull enough to limit Train Speeds
to 81mph these past 100 years.>>>>>

Where did you dream this one up? There is a transport lobby actively involved
in limiting freight train speeds? Rod, what are you smoking? Anyway, tell me of
a country that runs freights faster than 140KPH? (I don't call parcel, mail
trains freight)

<<<<Seen the Tourist Pics on TV and seen the backlots in Southern USA where
millions live in Poverty.>>>>

While not an apoligist for ANY country I fail to see how this got into a debate
about the VFT? But seeing as you want to talk about poverty, take a trip up to
the Alice and have a gander at the Aborigines living in squalor in the Todd
River. Or maybe you've signed up with One Nation and like to refer to
Aborigines as "bloody boongs" that don't know how lucky they are?

<<<<<Guess its pretty hard to take , when you know that here our unemployed can
live on a Gov Handout!>>>>>

Again, I don't know how this subject came up in a VFT debate! FWIW, I believe
we treat our citizens in a much more compassionate manner than the US does or
ever did so you'll get no argument from me on that point. Of course as a hard
working man yourself I know you would be against professional dole bludgers but
thats a different case to those genuinely in need.

<<<<<<<and yes if some peoples dreams are realised in Railway Fields , Guess
that
would hurt too...ah well>>>>>

Hooray, we are back to talking about the trains!!!
I'm not sure what you mean when you say it would hurt me to see someones
railway dreams realised. My point is simply that Australian politicians have a
lot more work to get done on freight, (you know that stuff you haul a few cars
of in your trains and that ultimately decides the financial success of a
country) than on dreaming up crazy vote catching schemes. From the sound of it
Rod, you'd like a shiny train to get you from Melb. to Sydney in 3 hours while
the Hume highway chokes to death under the load from road freight?

<<<<<Now as you are quoting population Figures....Can you tell me why the TGV
made a profit from day 1?>>>>>>>

Sorry Rod but I simply cannot believe the TGV "made a profit from day one" It
would have taken years to recover the massive costs of construction. Of course
there could be some creative accounting at work here where the construction
cost was bourne by someone separate to SNCF. In that case, yes the SNCF may
have run the service at a profit from day one but someone had to cough up the
billions in construction costs.

<<<<<<<Can you tell me the populations of the Terminal Towns?  So whats wrong
with
Sydney>>Canberra>>Melbourne???>>>>>>

TGV works because it is faster than air. Even if you ran a VFT from Syd. to
Melb. in 3 hours its probably going to be quicker to drive to the airport, fly,
get off the other end and get to the city. Canberra does not have enough people
to anchor one end of a VFT type route unless you picked up along the way,
(defeating the purpose of high speed) Melb and Syd would work but as I just
said, it would still be quicker to catch a plane.

You then rave on about coastal shipping, Darwin etc. How on earth did this
inject itself into a debate about the VFT??? Oh I see your going to put
containers on the VFT?? interesting! Did I miss something, is the Melb to
Darwin proposal going to be a high speed electrified line too?

<<<<< Each Year as our Foriegn owners move more bus. off shore, we are
importing more and more. And selling more and more of our vast reserves of
minerals.
Dont Kid yourself, boy....Australia can make it happen.>>>>>>>>

Rod, you are contradicting yourself, on one hand you say "our Foriegn owners
move more bus. off shore," and in the next sentence you say, "Australia can
make it happen"  So just who is in control of Australia's destiny and who
allowed Australia to be sold out to these "foreign owners?

BTW, I love it whenever someone gets so frustrated with their inability to
articulate their argument that they have to resort to calling someone "boy".
Name calling makes you look very small and signals that you have exhausted your
points.

Mark.

I can be abused and called names at: markbau@aol.com

If the abuse is particularly profound I'll give you my real email address.