Re: Locotrol

markbau1@aol.com (MarkBau1) wrote:
>The term "Locotrol" as it applies to Harris equipment refers to remotely
>operating mid train or rear loco's.
>Moving a train at very slow speeds under a loader is done by manual power
>control (Australian term), Power reduction, (American term) or in the case of
>Harris equipment by a speedsetter or pacesetter where you simply punch in the
>speed you want to maintain and the computer does the rest.

Somewhere amongst my collection (Just wish I could sort
it all out one day) I have a very early article on the
Pilbara which mentioned the slow speed loader controls.
I could well be wrong, but I am sure Locotrol was
mentioned well before Mount Newman Mining used mid
train helpers.

Just back to HI for a moment, the loco's I rode were
the mighty ALCO Century 636 after their Goninan
rebuild, could not believe how quiet and roomy those
Pilbara cabs are, they still retained their right hand
driving position and the control was down on the
drivers right hand side at about seat cushion level.

Yep, modern electronics and control systems on the
newer models would take care of everything these days.

Cheers

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT