Re: Ticket Machines on Melbourne Trams

>Aha, so you can plan ahead ("in my car I have a little container of
>coins").

Hardly "planning ahead" to have a small container of coins in the car.
No imposition at all.

>So, all you need to do is carry 2 (that's all) coins on your person, and
>you can ride a tram whenever you want. Are we forgetting that coins are
>actually still legal tender, and quite commonly used :-)

Not at all, but I do two things. (a) If I can , I try and spend my
coins at the first opportunity, rather than hand over a note, and (b)
donate excess coins to my wife/kids funds - frequently without my
knowledge :-)

>And if you really can't stand those 2 coins "rattling around in your
>pocket", why don't you just buy a few 2-hour tickets next time you are in
>town, and keep them in your wallet. Hardly any more oneous than your
>container of coins.

That is probably the best solution.

>Have you ever bought a phonecard for the same reason? Sure it is more of a
>hassle to actually buy it in the first place, but it sure makes those phone
>calls easier.

Yep, used phonecards all the time until I obtained my mobile.  No need
any more.

>> but if I want to spend the afternoon in the city, and not just 2 hours, I
>won't be able
>> to buy an all-day ticket.
>
>Oh well, just fork out the extra 10 cents for two 2-hour tickets. That can
>give you 5 hours, and possibly up to 6 depending on when you buy them.

Apart from the obvious problem that I need to find 2 lots of $2.20 in
coins, the ten cents is no big deal.

However, this raises a question.  Pre-ATMs the 2-hour period began at
the end of the hour the ticket was purchased, so a ticket bought at
12:05 was valid for travel until boarding at 2:59.  With ATMs does
this still apply, or is the 2-hour period calculated from first
validation?

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 1 January
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html