Re: Ticket Machines on Melbourne Trams

On 22 Jan 1998 21:34:35 GMT, "Mike" <malex@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> So tell me, when I make a sudden decision to take a tram to the city,
>> how do I purchase a ticket if I don't have enough coins.
>
>How do you park your car if you don't have enough coins for the parking
>meter. (Although, granted, $1.50 will usually get you some time at a
>parking meter, but not in many places, e.g. most of St. Kilda, $2.00 flat
>fee)

If you are asking how I park my car in St Kilda Road, then the answer
is I drive into my office car park, where not even coins, credit cards
or bank notes are necessary :-)

But if I drive into the city (which looks increasingly likely), I
handle it two ways.  I either park in a parking station, where they
(cleverly) accept notes or even credit cards, or at a meter, and to
cover that possibility in my car I have a little container of coins.
But I certainly don't want to have coins rattling around in my pockets
just in case I want to buy a tram ticket.

A 2-hour ticket is almost half the value of the smallest bank note.  I
cannot understand why I won't be able to buy a tram ticket without
coins.  I also cannot understand why I will be able to buy a 2-hour
ticket on a tram (assuming I have enough shrapnel) but if I want to
spend the afternoon in the city, and not just 2 hours, I won't be able
to buy an all-day ticket.

Seems to me that driving into the city will be the easiest thing to
do.  Cooler too, with the aircon in my car :-)
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 1 January
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html