Ticket Machines on Melbourne Trams

Gday,

Today I made one of my occasional trips from my St Kilda Rd office to
the city, travelling by tram.  I have been reading the various tales
about ATMs at suburban railway stations, but was surprised to see a
sign on a tram which rattled past without stopping indicating the
ticket machines only take coins.  Since all I had was $1.50 and a $5
note, how was I expected to purchase a ticket (in the event, I climbed
aboard a "W" class with a connie).

I presume we are meant to  buy tickets somewhere else, but where?  My
local milkbar in Mitcham sells them, but there are no local milkbars
in St Kilda Rd.  As I wandered around the city I tried to find a
source of tickets, but apart fro the obvious (Flinders Street Station)
couldn't see one.

So tell me, when I make a sudden decision to take a tram to the city,
how do I purchase a ticket if I don't have enough coins.

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 1 January
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html