Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

Eddie Oliver wrote in message <122143033$Eddie.Oliver@efs.mq.edu.au>...
>Some more queries where I have heard different versions and
>I don't know which is "right":
>
>Girilambone
>Toongi
>Nanami
>
>For the first two, there are several variants especially re
>softness of the "g", e.g.
>
>Toongi =  toon- gheye,  toon - ghee,  toon-jeye,  toon-jee
>
>(where I am using "gh" for the hard "g" as in "ghost")
>
>and
>
>Girilambone = GHIRR-ill-am-bone, Gha-RILL-am-bone, Jirr-a-lam-bone,
>Jir-RILL-am-bone ...
>
>WHICH IS "RIGHT"?
>
>Eddie Oliver

GHIRR-ill-am-bone is the only pronunciation I have ever heard and was what I
used when I worked there.

You southerners have forgotten a pronuciation that bothers many of your
fellows when you come north to the railway capital of Australia namely how
do you pronounce Mackay?

The usual pronunciation even with the locals is now Mc-EYE but there is
still a significant minority of locals, usually older locals, who pronounce
in Mc-A. My guess is that the pronunciation changed over the years perhaps
because of the influx of southerners in the 1970's.

Barry Campbell