Re: Ticket Machines on Melbourne Trams

John Dennis wrote:

> Gday,
>
> Today I made one of my occasional trips from my St Kilda Rd office to
> the city, travelling by tram.  I have been reading the various tales
> about ATMs at suburban railway stations, but was surprised to see a
> sign on a tram which rattled past without stopping indicating the
> ticket machines only take coins.  Since all I had was $1.50 and a $5
> note, how was I expected to purchase a ticket (in the event, I climbed
>
> aboard a "W" class with a connie).
>
> I presume we are meant to  buy tickets somewhere else, but where?  My
> local milkbar in Mitcham sells them, but there are no local milkbars
> in St Kilda Rd.  As I wandered around the city I tried to find a
> source of tickets, but apart fro the obvious (Flinders Street Station)
>
> couldn't see one.
>
> So tell me, when I make a sudden decision to take a tram to the city,
> how do I purchase a ticket if I don't have enough coins.

Good point!  I am surprised that the P.T.C./OneLink is relying on
businesses such as milkbars to distribute MetCards.  Don't they realise
that milkbars are disappearing fast (mainly due to 24 hour trading by
larger supermarkets, long hours and low profit margins).  My parents had
a milkbar until end of October 1997 and here at Glenferrie Road,
Hawthorn, beside our milkbar, there was another one about two blocks
towards Kew.  Well, both are no longer there.  Perhaps the P.T.C. should
do some homework by reading in the "Business for Sale" section in the
"Saturday Age".  Then, they will realise that there are many milkbar
proprietors who just can't wait to get out of that business!!  We did
and we will never go back to it!!  Alternatively, ask anyone from U.S.
and I am certain there are no milkbars as such.  Supermarket selling
MetCards?  I doubt it!!!

Cheers,

I.C.

Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
                                 Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
Approved CCT Library Supplier for Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group