Re: Pass Locos

David Johnson wrote in message <34B97096.229B8D6B@ozemail.com.au>...
:tezza wrote:
:
:> No, I say most locos are useless - which they are. About the only good
:> shunting locos are 45's 48's and 49's.
:
:I wouldn't have thought you'd like the 49s...  they take 4 notches before
they
:start to move!

Once they exchanged the A7 for a B7 they weren't too bad. They'll move in
any notch, but in 3 or 4 notch with any load they'll just keep loading up
till they move it. The cabs are crap though.

:Incidentally, most of the QR 1720 class, which is the same as a 49 class,
have a
:switch for shunting which allows for fast loading/unloading of the main
:generator.  In normal mode, taking one notch will pull about 50 Amps,
whereas in
:shunting mode, it will pull about 300 Amps.
:

Sounds like a good idea. There was a 49 once which took off as soon as power
was applied, but unfortunately they fixed(?) it. Shunters don't like 49's
though they expect locos to start and stop like cars - no matter how many
years they've been on the job.