Re: 3801 and 3830 Double Headers

David Bromage wrote:

> Rob McKiernan (blobigus@optus.net.au) wrote:
> >I have read with interest a readers letter in the January ARHS Digest with a
> >proposition to restore 3813 to running order. Now as I understand it, bits
> >and peices are lying at Dorrigo, Thirlmere and the Power House so I guess it
> >would take a long time just to sought out the ownership etc of the loco (who
> >does own it as I thought all locos in the RTM collection were originally on
> >loan from the NSWGR).
>
> >restoration would get something tangible for their efforts. I think the RTM
> >especially could benefit from this and perhaps this would allow people to
> >contribute to a loco that they would like to see running again not what is
> >determined by a museum as being a cost effective loco to restore.(5711 for
> >example)
>
> Of more benefit to RTM and the state as a whole would be using the bits of
> 3813 to restore 3820.
>
> Cheers
> David

  I understand that the RTM has done a deal with the Dorrigo Museum and all parts
for this loco from Thirlmere will go to Dorrigo. This matter has been complicated
as in the original agreement for the restoration of 3801 , that company was
promissed parts from 3813 for spares. As a result a deal has been struck between
all three organisations and this deal should now proceed. The boiler however is
another story. The boiler from 3813 was given to the Powerhouse museum many years
ago and untill recently they did not wish to part with it. I now hear that it too
will soon be heading to Dorrigo. Now dont get excited about seeing 3813 running
again. A former boiler inspector of the SRA cut some rather large pieces out of
it. I understand that with the damage taken into consideration, the Powerhouse
felt it was not worth keeping the boiler as a spare. The best we could hope to
see is 3813 reassembled again. When I think back over 20 years ago the then
Hunter Valley Railway offered to swap a complete ROD locomotive for the bits of
3813 , and the offer was refused by the RTM ,  I wonder who has been the winner?
No one!
                                            Bob