Re: Overland cars for West Coast Rail

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:59:05 +1100, "David Proctor"
<daproc.spambait@umpires.com> wrote:

>petan@ion.com.au wrote in message <367e264d.5722929@news.ion.com.au>...
>
>>Sounds like the Southern Aurora of past times. It even skipped Junee
>>and the Goulburn loco crew went to Albury.
>
>Did they? Although Junee was never a timetabled stop for the Aurora (who
>wants to get on or off a train operating to that timetable at 2ish in the
>morning) I distinctly remember sometime in 1982 being on the platfrom at
>Junee and waiting for the SoP, and the Aurora came in and the crew changed -
>I bludged a ride in the locos (422-class, if I recall).

Until about 1977 Goulburn crews worked the 'roarer' non stop to/from
Albury. They also worked the "Spirit" with Albury crews running the
Daylight to/from Goulburn.

After this date Albury crews worked the Spirit to Junee returning to
Albury on the Aurora and a second Albury crew ran the Aurora to Junee
returning on the Spirit. Four Albury loco men in Junee in the wee
small hours usually meant a great euchre game - ah! those were the
days.

Albury crews also ran the Daylight to/from Junee.

The Aurora stayed on the through road at Junee and did not use either
platform - the stop was for crew change only.

cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.