Re: TALGO tilt trains

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:06:02 +0800, David & Jan Winter <winterd@icenet.com.au>
wrote in misc.transport.rail.australia-nz:

> Matthew - I have freight in focus, and yes 1067 <-> 1435mm.

> Maybe I should post also on the Euro rail NGs to see if its been tested
> 1000mm-1435mm-1676mm.

So far, Talgos have only been built for 1435 mm to 1676 mm.
A narrow gauge version would be possible, but this might
mean that a low-floor gangway between the wheels becomes
impossible (not a problem for freight). For the technology,
see:
http://www.talgo.com/tecnolog/viai.htm
Freight trains mostly wouldn't be articulated as they
require shunting, but the system can also be installed in
bogies or single axles of normal freight cars.

DB Cargo is testing another system, with axles between the
wheels (other than Talgo, where the wheels are turning
independently):
http://www.db-cargo.de/cargo/news/pm981028.htm
(German only - a system originally developed in the GDR for
trains to the Soviet Union, but at that time, the Polish
objected because they wanted to keep the jobs for reloading
freight at the border)

And one more:
http://www.interec.com/cadi/ogi.html

Currently the "Transfesa" cars are being regauged at the Spanish
border by replacing the wheelsets.

--
tobias benjamin köhler _______________ tk2@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de