Re: TALGO tilt trains

David & Jan Winter wrote in message <3679d3b8.0@news.highway1.com.au>...
>Matthew - I have freight in focus, and yes 1067 <-> 1435mm.
>
>Maybe I should post also on the Euro rail NGs to see if its been tested
>1000mm-1435mm-1676mm.
>
>BTW 1676mm-1435mm = 241mm difference
>BUT  1435mm-1067mm = 368mm difference
>
>The difference is about 50% greater than that presently negotiated. This
>does not seem to me to be insurmountable.

There is no point. Even if a Talgo style system is brought into use, NRC
rollingstock would not make it past South Brisbane because of the smaller
rollingstock profile Queensland uses. To allow NRC wagons to continue to
FNQ, every bridge, tunnel, embankment and clearway would have to be widened.
All tracks in multiple line areas would have to be spaced further apart.
Could you imagine the costs?

Westrail have a much larger rollingstock profile than Queensland so it may
be a possibility there. It will never happen in Qld.

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland
matticue@corplink.com.au