Re: The ghost of Tasmania Limited

----------
In article <74r3j0$enp$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, thalytgv@my-dejanews.com
wrote:

>Some additional points to bring my dreams come true:
(actaully to let Tasmania see regular passenger trains again is dream
for everone)

>Passenger counts:
According to local newspaper TT link recently enjoys booming on its
passengers I guess there is a potential for this train. IF CAREFULLY
MARKETED.

before the Tasman was removed, it was latered to three days aweek,
coinciding with the crossing of the Empress of Australia, then run by ANL.
The marketing was not well undertaken.

>Time tabling
I'm not too familiar with ships, I don't know how fast this train ferry
from NZ is. I know TT link's cataman takes 6 hours to cross the strait
I assume it will take 8 hours for this ferry. I table it to depart
Sydney at evening resembles "Southern Aurora" so passengers may use
this train between Melbourne and Sydney rather than taking "XPT=eXpect
Poor (service on this) Train"!
I'm not familiar with Tassie either "I guess" it would take 4 hours
from any ferry terminal on Northern Tasmania to Hobart.

The Devil Cat is exceptionally fast.  Allow 10 hours for a conventional
ferry.  The Spirit is timetabled to leave Melbourne at 6 p.m. and arrive in
the mersey at 7.40 a.m.  It can, and often does it faster, but Bass Strait
is not a nice bit of water. As for terminal to Hobart- the Tasman was
allowed 9 hours from Wynyard to Hobart, stopping all traditional 'watering
holes'.  5 hours, using the current lines is realistic, although, still a
bit much! (3 hours from Bell Bay may be acheivable)

>Rollingstock:
I mentioned EL class as they are surplus and recently sold to leasing
company. I know they still have the ability to haul passenger service
nicely. Whereas on the otherside, Some surplus English Electrics
recently replaced by GM locos could get a bit of help. Rail Digest also
mention their reliability had improved.

>This is true.

>Whereas passenger coaches, SRA is about to sell a few surplus passenger
stocks. I have another wild idea, how about "EuroNightStar" stock? I'm
not sure British loading gauge compare to ours but I know their MK2 can
run on New Zealand's track nicely. I also knew they are very heavy due
to equipments necessary for different European railway systems.
2 Els can do the job? I'm sure they don't need refurbishment(not even
repaint) throw away a few unnecessary components might reduce its
weight.

>Now, any more suggestions?

Yes- how do we make this dream a reality?