Re: Maps

In article <01bcc50d$9d8c5e00$0100007f@pentium>, "John Wayman"
<wayman@c031.aone.net.au>wroted:

>John Duncan McCallum <mccallum@melbpc.org.au> wrote in article
><5vs2j7$s4_002@melbpc.org.au>...
>> Pardon for upsetting the applecart, but the Tramway Hotel in North
>Fitzroy is
>> a long way from the Yan Yean pipeline, which turns left at the end of the
>
>> reservation and follows the Merri Creek towards the Yarra. How far it
>goes, I
>> do not know.
>> My tip is that the Hotel was so named because of the cable tramway, which
>
>> ended nearby.
>
>I did read this somewhere, but I can't remember the source.

>It is my guess that the pipeline is under St. George's Road south of Merri
>Creek, and in the centre reservation north of the creek.
>
>When it was built, Merri Creek was probably on the edge of civilization,

There are three large pipes crossing the Merri Creek between the Epping line
railway bridge and the St Georges Road bridge. It was these pipes that made me
think that the pipe track follows the Merri Creek. I find it hard to believe
that the MMBW (or whatever it was called way back then) would allow the large
pipes to be laid under a roadway carrying tram tracks where they would be
almost impossible to repair. Therefore the pipes mentioned would appear to be
the main Yan Yean pipeline. Although off topic for aus.rail, does anyone know
where these pipes go after croosing the Merri Creek?

  ,-._|\  John McCallum
 /  Oz  \ 13/2 Gremel Rd, Reservoir, Victoria, Australia 3073.
 \_,--.x/ Phone 03 9478 4254.         Member, Melbourne PC User Group.