Re: Fuelling the Patricks Train

>> >I was always under the assumption that the EPA would not allow fueling
>of
>> >locomotives out in the field.
>>
>> Has anyone told the preservations groups? BPR regularly fuels its diesels
>> from road tankers. When the Red Hens were delivered to SGR, they were
>> refueled at Speed from a road tanker. I think RM58 was fueled by hand
>from
>> 200l drums on the ARHS Kulwin trip a few years back.
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>>
>I assume Speed is a place :) It would be hard to imagine refuelling a
>moving railcar from a moving tanker the way the US Air Force do with
>planes. (Tongue firmly in cheek)

Indeed, Speed is (was) a famous place.  A few years ago the road signs
placed on the outskirts of towns in Victoria, at the edge of town, and
letting you know the name of the location you were approaching had a
second board placed below the name with a safety message.  This meant
that approaching this particular township you were given the
contradictory message:
	Speed ... Please Slow Down

A bit like the place in western QLD named Miles.  I used to enjoy
seeing the column in the timetables "miles from Miles" and was
disappointed when the town's name wasn;t changed during metrification,
although I suppose "kilometres from Miles" is just as silly.

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                  Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 14 June