Re: New Yard at Camberwell Station

John Abraham Cleverdon (clev@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU) wrote:
>Remember that Box Hill also has a never-used 4th platform, put in when
>the new shopping centre etc. was built several years back.

I was living in Box Hill during the construction of the new station. I
recall some talk about this being a dedicated goods/parcels platform until
required as a passenger platform if/when extra tracks reached Box Hill.
Unfortunately electric parcel vans and suburban goods trains were
withdrawn about the time the station was completed (mid-1984).

>Of course, we
>can always hope :-) that at some time in the future the triplicated track
>may reach Blackburn, or even Ringwood, if the problem of Laburnum could
>be solved...

There would be a problem getting a 3rd track through Laburnam (bridge) and
Heatherdale (deep cutting). It would require major earthworks. There is
(just) enough room for a 4th track all the way from Burnley to Box Hill.
This would only require minor earthworks.

Cheers
David