Re: New Yard at Camberwell Station

> I don't think the P.T.C. has any intention of putting in another
> platform at Camberwell.  With the current usage volume, I don't think
> Camberwell requires another platform.  About 4th track, well, this maybe
> warrented after 3rd track is constructed between Box Hill and Ringwood
> (unfortunately, I don't think this will be done in the near future).

I agree that it doesn't require a 4th platform at the present, but it seems
silly to build over the site of where it will probably be built one day.
After all, at Box Hill they were sensible and put in the 4th platform, even
though it has not been used. If they keep making provision everytime
something is built, then eventually it will be a simple matter to just lay
the rail. Look at the 3rd track to Moorabbin. It got to the stage where the
whole right-of way was ready, even with the Overhead poles being spaced for
3 tracks. Apart from building some platforms, and the tram crossing at
Glenhuntly, it was a pretty simple task to finish the job. Even the first
road bridge on the down side of the Heidelberg tunnel is built for 2
tracks, and there is not much chance of the tunnel being duplicated any
time soon. I just think that a bit of foresight doesn't go astray,
especially when most of the trackbed back to Burnley was done with a 4th
track in mind. Why stop thinking ahead now?

Regards,
Mike Alexander
(malex@bigfoot.com)