Re: [NSW] Wagga victim's mother's letter to SMH

Hugh McGuinness wrote:

> Do you want clever, breakable technology?  The speed humps are about
> as cheap, low-tech and unbreakable as you could get.  Why would you
> not want to slow down when going through a railway crossing?  The
> don't have to be huge, just enough to be noticed, like those white
> raised strips that go 'thunka thunka thunka' when you drive over them.
>
> I thought price was a major factor here.  If the speed humps cost $1k
> to install, the whole state would take about $1 million; and $1k would
> be sponsorable by the local RSL/Lions club/Scout bob-a-jobs.
>
> hugh the luddite :-)

Fair comment.

Now that I think of it, theres probably heaps of crossings around the
place where that effect has already been generated, albeit on the
crossing itself.
Go for a drive along Kororoit Creek Road (Laverton/Altona/Willamstown).
The two crossings there are shockers due to (presumably) a complete lack
of maintenance to the road surface for a long time.

Seriously, the buzz strips as on the side of many major
freeways/highways, if applied accross the whole road width, would
certainly wake drivers up that there's something to pay attention to.

Cheers.

 Peter Homann
The light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off
until economic conditions improve.  Management.