Re: [NSW] Wagga victim's mother's letter to SMH

Hugh McGuinness wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Instead of boom gates, would speed humps (covering both sides of the
> road on both sides of the track) be an alternative?  It's only a
> couple of lumps of bitumen with 4 yellow signs that say 25kmh.
>
> Surely _that_ would encourage people to slow down and notice that
> there's a crossing imminent.
>
> hugh

It would, but you'd probably find several million motorists, and I'd
probably be one of them, who'd complain about the 99% of the time they
drive over the crossing and there isn't a train in sight.

How about electronic speed humps, that raise up a couple of hundred
metres in advance of the crossing, and are activated when the lights
are.
Nah, prolly cost too much, and besides, drivers of road vehicles really
need to be *educated*, not given even more excuses not to think for
themselves.

<RANT>
That seems to be a problem in society in general these days. When I was
young (not *that* long ago), I climbed trees, fell out of trees, found
better ways of climbing trees... you get the idea. I *thought* for
myself, that is learned from experience. What are we teaching kids these
days? We're saying that *someone*, usually the Government, will make the
world really safe, and you can go do anything you like, take no notice
of what's going on around you, and you won't get hurt. Or if you do,
insurance will make you all better again.
WRONG!!
Some kids just don't seem to think for themselves. Come to think of it,
some adults can't think for themselves either!
Not all are that bad, and I apologise to anyone who takes personal
offence - it is just a generalised observation.
</RANT>

Ahh, much better. <sigh>

Well, back to work. :-(

 Peter Homann
The light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off
until economic conditions improve.  Management.