Re: Countrylink looking up again

"David Bennetts" <davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
8kJH6.3747$VM5.124315@ozemail.com.au">news:8kJH6.3747$VM5.124315@ozemail.com.au...

> Really, with the demise of Impulse we're no better off for competition in
> airlines than we were years ago, with East-West making up a de-facto third
> airline.

Rant time coming up again - and not really Dave Bennett's fault -

This talk of competition amongst Australian airlines worries me somewhat.

Consider-

1) The world's biggest domestic market is the USA - with a population of
about 300 million people they are constantly battling to maintain about 3 or
4 truly NATIONAL carriers.

2) More importantly from the Australian point of view - consider Canada -
30 million population-
better population distribution than Australia
daily access to many  US cities basically as part of the domestic network.

But Canada, at the moment has ONE national carrier!

Here endeth the lesson

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury World Travel