[VIC] Chaos on the Hurstbridge line this morning (02-05-01)

This morning, the 0601 up Hurstbridge struck and killed a person between
Eltham and Montmorency at approx. 0615. I don't know if it was a suicide or
not, but the fog was VERY heavy around that time. All down trains after the
first were terminated at Greensborough and buses were arranged between
Greensborough and Eltham.
Despite the chaos, only 5 trains were cancelled in full and the maximum late
running was 10 mins. The train involved went ETY to Epping via Clifton Hill
and left the single line just after 0900. Services resumed at approx. 0930,
however when I left at 1210, the timetable was still about 5 mins out of
whack.

This caused further chaos beyond Eltham as drivers were out of position and
there was an imbalance of trains in Eltham and Hurstbridge yards.

Sam

BTW - Thanx to the good doctor who gave me my 'flu injection at Clifton hill
this afternoon! (My arm has stopped bleeding now!!) :-P

--
Sam Eades
seades@bigpond.net.au