Re: [melb] PIDs on Connex Comengs

"OgO" <quentisl@leaves.qjc.cjb.net> wrote:

> Sometimes it's like this - generally when I'm passing through
> however there is an announcement as the train is pulling out,
> which is useless, as everone who is on the train is there until
> at least the next stop and everyone who isn't has missed out.

Yes, but it's not the only announcement made.  You will find that the
message heard as the train pulls out plays a few seconds after the platform
clock hits the scheduled departure time (that's when the digitised bloke
cracks it and tells you to stand clear!)

> But what I meant was that the station staff can see the train sitting
there, and
> can see when it's just about ready to go, and can make an
> announcement then, if an automated system can't do this, is it
> really an improvement?

Personally, I'd rather hear a digitised announcement as the train departs
(as long as there are messages prior to its departure) then hearing a
mumbled "live" message in pigeon-English from some of Flinders Street
platform staff! :)

Cheers
Paul