Re: Riverina competition

David Bromage wrote in message ...
>Michael (usenet.spam@gunzel.net) wrote:
>> David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in article
>> <bijl6.39$vT.1273@news0.optus.net.au>:
>
>> >Countrylink is really going to have to do something soon if it wants a
>> >future.
>
>> Bringing the XPT upto intercapital standards would be a good start.
>
>> Herding passengers into unconfortable seats that are clearly fit for
short
>> haul intercity train (you work out the acronym there :) services and
>> expecting them to pay for a meal that is fit for a hospital, is clearly
not
>> up to standard in my opinion.
>
>To be fair, XPT seats are quite well spaced compared with a bus or
aircraft.
>Economy on the XPT is about 1000mm, compared with 1027mm on the TGV. (or
>800mm on a maglev!) However, the actual seats are based on a European
>design for an average journey of 3 hours.
>
>Food is definately a problem.
>
>Cheers
>David

Having travelled on the XPT with work a large number of times in the past
several years. I'm surprised that there are any passengers at all,
particularly between Sydney and Melbourne. The level of discomfort for me is
extreme and that's just after 5 hours to Junee, the idea of travelling
overnight between Syd & Melb leaves me wondering how people do it.

Unless Country link drastically changers there services, I can't see them
surviving against aircraft services, particularly as regional townships
received better and more frequent services.

Country Link need to start tailoring there services in a way there opponents
can't or to the same level as there current competitors. They need to
provide onboard entertainment, similar to those provided on aircraft and now
on some buses ie, Video's, audio music & comedy radio channels etc. The
seating certainly needs attention as does the food.

Personally, I think that a step back to a loco hauled service is the way to
go. I don't think high speed is important to the average interstate
traveller. Particularly as RAC/PRIC has failed to provide the quality track
conditions that is required for these types of services ( Unless you go for
the TGV with an entirely new line purpose built ). The ability of loco
hauled trains to add loco's and carriages as required, particularly
differently types of carriages would be a plus. The loss of the car carriers
between Brisbane and Melbourne has lost many holiday travellers to the road.
The dinning cars, bar cars and quality sleepers has also affected the
attraction to the currently available train services.

Regards.....Dino