Re: Riverina competition

"Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
905185EDAgunzelT333@139.130.239.94">news:905185EDAgunzelT333@139.130.239.94...
> David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in article
> <bijl6.39$vT.1273@news0.optus.net.au>:
>
> >Countrylink is really going to have to do something soon if it wants a
> >future.
>
> Bringing the XPT upto intercapital standards would be a good start.
>
> Herding passengers into unconfortable seats that are clearly fit for short
> haul intercity train (you work out the acronym there :) services and
> expecting them to pay for a meal that is fit for a hospital, is clearly
not
> up to standard in my opinion.

Good point about the seats - they tried to make the seats suitable for day
travel (hard lumbar support) as well as night travel (wrap around head
support, etc) and in doing so succeeded in neither. As for the food, not
sure what they can do here, but (time to dream) wouldn't it be good if they
could convert the XBR into a diner and have proper sit down meals, prepared
(not cooked) on board, that was half way decent!

Give pensioners cattle class for their freebies, price up first class and
provide the silver service to match. You won't get those who HAVE to travel
(they will fly or drive) but you will get those who WANT to travel (in much
the same way that the IP, Ghan and Queenslander does).

Time for my medication I think........

> I have never been on the tilt train yet, but photos and heresay suggest
> that is is something that Countrylink should be looking at for ideas on
> standards.
>
> Last October I flew to Sydney, I think I will again next time.

I have flown Sydney to/from Melbourne five times in the last 3 months, it is
looking rather appealing.

Dave