Re: QR restructure coming?

"Andrew Honan" <ahonan@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
3a9a3663.5a00e@nancy.pacific.net.au">news:3a9a3663.5a00e@nancy.pacific.net.au...
> One of the complaints I had of QR was that the royalties from the haulage of
> coal went directly to QR, while in NSW it goes to consolidated revenue. QR
> used this to develop both the metropolitan as well as the country lines.
> I have since been told that this stopped some time ago and royalties go
> straight to consolidated revenue.

What's the problem with using the profits you generate to improve your
product?  Businesses do it all the time, because they look at the overall
picture of the business, not just each section on its own.  I'd have no
problems with QR using coal profits for rail development state-wide, then
what's left going to consolidated revenue.  Think about it, consolidated
revenue would pay for road upgrading, so effectively it could be used to boost
the competition.  How would Qantas feel if all its profits went into a big
bank and used to develop terminals for Ansett, Impulse and Virgin Blue?

[OT] Mind you, if Freightcorp pays straight to consolidated revenue in NSW,
then that explains why we've got some of busiest (and few profit generating)
lines in NSW in the Hunter, but some of the crappiest train services, both in
frequency and in trains used.  Even the Endeavours are starting to look second
hand now, and today (35 degrees and 50%+ humidity) was not a nice one to be on
a Red Rattler, even with the windows open.