Re: QR restructure coming?

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:01:32 +1100, "James C."
<james_ccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> Sounds like there doing what everyone else has done.
>>
>> I hope that they get it right unlike their southern counterparts who have
>> stuffed everything completely, and have now needed an inquiry to recommend
>it
>> all goes back together.
>
>Just hope what ever they do DO NOT PRIVATISE QR
>
>The system works fine and earns big $ without privatisation.
>
>Cheers
>James

The system doesnt work fine at all.
Queesland Rail is a Govt owned monopoly which earns 70% of all its
revenue from the carriage of coal.

Here is a direct extract from the Productivity Commissions report into
the Black Coal industry in Australia.
7.2.1 Coal freight rates
Inquiry participants indicated that rail freight rates per ntk for
coal in Australia
are very high relative to those paid by mines overseas, particularly
in the United
States.
 MIM stated:
Rail and port charges for export coal in Queensland are
internationally uncompetitive. (sub. 18, p. 1)

Any organization which operates in a zero competition environment like
QR does , cant help but make huge profits.
Telstra made huge profits too, before it had any competition.

QR may not need to be privatised , but it sure needs some competition.

I suggest that you have a read of this report which is available from
the PCs web site , and then have a rethink about how wonderful QR is.

The report is also just as critical of Freightcorps coal operations.

MD