Re: QR restructure coming?

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3a998a1a.346920@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a998a1a.346920@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:22:40 +1100, Greg Rudd <grudd@mail.usyd.edu.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Are you arguing that QR be split up into several  coal carring companies,
a general freight company, several
> >passenger companies and of course the mandatory track access company all
competing against each other while the
> >Road Transport industry is laughing all the way to the bank.
> >

> No , Im simply stating that coal companies in Queensland shouldnt be
> forced to use QR simply because noone else is allowed to haul coal.

Maurie, I am sorry to say you are WAY wrong here.

Firstly, if QR does not permit 3rd party operators to haul coal, then
explain to me the recent contract from Ensham Mine that was awarded to
Freightcorp. Secondly, in reference to general traffic, explain to me how
CKSR are about to operate in direct competition to QR's Kuranda Tourist
Train on QR metals?

> If QR are a efficient coal carrier as they claim they are , then they
> should not fear competition from other rail operators .
> To achieve this requires an independant and more importantly NCC
> certified track access regime which the Qld Govt and QR have refused
> to have anything to do with.

Oh what ROT!!! Why do you think Network Access was set up? Who do you think
is constantly watching? Try the ACCC as well as the QCA not to mention QT,
all of which are working hard to ensure QR presents a level playing field to
3rd party operators. And don't tell me Network Access is part of QR which
creates bias. It's no different to RAC or ARTC, both government owned access
corporations, just like Network Access.

QR's number one focus is safety. The reason most 3rd party operators have
lost contracts to date is because they've not been up to QR's government
approved safety standards. Simple as that. They try to cut corners on safety
measures to underbid a tender which QR will not abide. It's a simple
theory - if you wanna shoot pool in MY house, you play by MY rules. Easy.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, Australia

Email - mattyq1009 at dingoblue dot net dot au

Notice - All comments and opinions made herein are that of the author only
and do not represent the official view of QR. All text included in this post
(and/or reply) is copyright to the author. This message may not be
reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the
author.