Re: QR restructure coming?

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:22:40 +1100, Greg Rudd <grudd@mail.usyd.edu.au>
wrote:

>Maurie Daly wrote:

>> >it
>> >
>> >Just hope what ever they do DO NOT PRIVATISE QR
>> >
>> >The system works fine and earns big $ without privatisation.
>> >
>> >Cheers
>> >James
>> >

>> The system doesnt work fine at all.
>> Queesland Rail is a Govt owned monopoly which earns 70% of all its
>> revenue from the carriage of coal.
>
>Are you arguing that QR be split up into several  coal carring companies, a general freight company, several
>passenger companies and of course the mandatory track access company all competing against each other while the
>Road Transport industry is laughing all the way to the bank.

No , Im simply stating that coal companies in Queensland shouldnt be
forced to use QR simply because noone else is allowed to haul coal.
If QR are a efficient coal carrier as they claim they are , then they
should not fear competition from other rail operators .
To achieve this requires an independant and more importantly NCC
certified track access regime which the Qld Govt and QR have refused
to have anything to do with.

MD