Re: Freight Australia not happy

"Frank Jones" <fjones@pipeline.com.au> wrote in message
3a87d9a3.12181241@news.pipeline.com.au">news:3a87d9a3.12181241@news.pipeline.com.au...
| On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:23:23 +1100, "Tezza"
| >"Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
|
| >Hardly any prices rose by 10%. Most services went up by 10%, some prices
| >rose by 1 to 10%, many stayed the same, many went down.
|
| Theoretically, yes.

No, I was saying what actually happened.

| However, I am involved in the pre-press side of the printing industry,
| and we had to update heaps of price lists, leaflets etc. prior to GST.
|
| The number of prices which actually rose by 10% (or less, since people
| were supposed to factor in the saving from the abolition of WST) were
| very few and far between. Instead, there were widespread opportunistic
| price rises from 15% - 40% especially in the hospitality/food
| industry.

I'm not in those industries, but none of the local take-aways I used
increased their prices. The increases you talk about should've been reported
to the ACCC. Competition will of course bring some of those prices back
down.

| Some actual examples that come to mind:
| - 'Lunchtime meal deal' by a local well known restaurant up from about
| $6.50 to $8.50 (+30%)
| - Steak from another well known restaurant chain - from $10 to $13.80
| (+38%)

Thievery, boycott them and tell them why.

| With increases in petrol prices, Telstra home line rentals etc. etc.
| on top of all this it's no wonder the WA voters are getting somewhat
| snaky...
|
| Even the car park behind my office increased their prices from $2 to
| $4 last month - a massive 100% increase!!!

Hardly anything to do with the GST.