Re: Freight Australia not happy

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:23:23 +1100, "Tezza"
<tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>"Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
>90429B369gunzelT333@139.130.239.94">news:90429B369gunzelT333@139.130.239.94...

>Hardly any prices rose by 10%. Most services went up by 10%, some prices
>rose by 1 to 10%, many stayed the same, many went down.

Theoretically, yes.

However, I am involved in the pre-press side of the printing industry,
and we had to update heaps of price lists, leaflets etc. prior to GST.

The number of prices which actually rose by 10% (or less, since people
were supposed to factor in the saving from the abolition of WST) were
very few and far between. Instead, there were widespread opportunistic
price rises from 15% - 40% especially in the hospitality/food
industry.

Some actual examples that come to mind:
- 'Lunchtime meal deal' by a local well known restaurant up from about
$6.50 to $8.50 (+30%)
- Steak from another well known restaurant chain - from $10 to $13.80
(+38%)

With increases in petrol prices, Telstra home line rentals etc. etc.
on top of all this it's no wonder the WA voters are getting somewhat
snaky...

Even the car park behind my office increased their prices from $2 to
$4 last month - a massive 100% increase!!!