Re: [Melb] New trams have few seats [was Batchelor says W-class trams to be back asap

"David McLoughlin" <davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote in
message 3a60f68d@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:3a60f68d@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> Yes, a friend in Austria who posts here at times (Wolfgang Auer) sent me
> the specs for the Melbourne Combinos from the German professional city
> transport magazine Stadtverkehr, which reproduces Siemens material.
> It has drawings with measurements/specs for both the three-section and
> five-section Melbourne order that shows the seat layout. There are 28
> seats in the three-section one and 56 seats in the five-section one. The
> reason for so few seats from looking at these drawings, is that there
> are a lot of very wide doors on both sides of the tram, so not much room
> for seats.

I have the same drawings, and agree with David. However, once you see them
it is hard to see how exactly they would fit in more seats. For example, in
the 29m-long 5-section tram, by the time you take out doorways,
articulations and driver's cabs, the useable length for seating is only
about 18.5 metres. And in that length there are three sets of "bogies"
(can't really call them that in a low-floor tram) which seem to intrude into
the saloon and dictate the seating arrangements. The smaller version is
similar with only about 12m of usable seating space in its 19m length, and
two sets of intrusive bogies.

> A few of the seats in the five-section version are 4+4 but most are 2+2
> or sideways-facing (longitudinal like in the saloons of the W2s).
>
> There are no 4+4s in the three-section version at all.

4+4? 8 seats across?

> Please email me your postal address (remove the spambuster in my address
> up top) and I will send you a copy of this document. It's in German
> (which I can read okay) but you will have no problem with the scale
> drawings if you can't read German.

Quick translation follows:

"Siemens obtains big order from Melbourne
=============================
A subsidiary of the National Express Group (NEG), has ordered 62 metro
trains and 59 low-floor Combino trams from Siemens. The vehicles are for
service in two of NEG's franchises in Melbourne, Australia. Siemens has also
been awarded the maintenance and warranty work for 15 years. The first trams
will be delivered in 2002, with the first trains following in 2003. Both
orders should be fully delivered by the end of 2005.

"Attractive vehicles that are quick to put into service are critical in a
modern transit system. These needs can only be met by modular vehicles" said
Herbert Steffen, chairman of Siemens. This order is an important result for
the newly-formed service group of Siemens. "We are expecting a growth of
about 6% p.a. in this area. By 2004 we expect to have revenues of around
500-800 million euro" said Steffen.

The new vehicles are based on the concept of the Siemens modular low-floor
tram, the Combino, as well as the modular-metro concept that has already
successfully entered service in Vienna and San Paulo. The modular concept
allows standard modules to be built that can be combined based on the
customer's needs.

The Combino trams order for Melbourne's "Swanston Trams" consist of 38
three-section trams, with a length of 19m and a weight of 25.5t, as well as
21 five-section trams with a length of 29m and a weight of 34.5t. Both
variations are 2.65m wide, and designed for bi-directional operation. The
three-part metro trains for the "Bayside Trains" network have room for 800
passengers, and have a maximum speed of 130 km/h.

The customer, NEG, won the franchise in August 1999 for the "Swanston Trams"
and "Bayside Trains" networks in a state-run privatisation programme. The
maintenance and warranty work for the new vehicles also includes the
complete management of spare parts. With the creation of two new
self-governing divisions on the 1st December 1999, Siemens has strengthened
its service offerings...."

Then it goes on a bit with some stuff about how great Siemens is.

Vaughan, I hope this makes it a bit easier to understand when David sends
the drawings through.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex @ bigfoot com)