Re: [Melb] Batchelor says W-class trams to be back asap

Johann Fan wrote:

> <sarcasm>
> One around April, 6 months to fumble around reinventing the wheel, brake,
> bogies, etc, then 12 months rebuilding the rest of the fleet, only to find
> out that it didn't help?
> </sarcasm>

Why don't they just get some of the unmodified No 15 trucks from under
the required number of the stored Ws and use them? Bringing back a
mechanic to adjust the brakes each night of course,  but it would be a
damned side cheaper than spending $10 million-plus on something that
probably won't work.

It would probably only need at most four mechanics (two each for
Southbank and Malvern). They might be able to do preventive maintenance
on the rest of the fleet in their spare time.

Or has nobody suggested this?

The news media reports I read suggest strongly that none of the
journalists who write about these things know anything about trams.

Can't someone contact one of these ignorant reporters and tell them
what's what?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand