Re: [Melb] Fines for private operator hit $5.9m

"Mike Alexander" <malex @ bigfoot com> wrote in message
3a62a917@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3a62a917@news.alphalink.com.au...
> The state of some of the Swanston trams has to be seen to be believed. It
is
> beyond me how a driver cannot see someone scrawling metre-wide letters on
> the ceiling of a Z (assuming it happened while in service, but there's a
lot
> of it out there, so I'm guessing at least some of it must have). I mean,
it
> can't exactly have been a packed tram for someone to have the balls to do
> that, and a Z is not a long tram. Or could it be (shock, horror) that the
> drivers simply don't give a hoot about that sort of thing.

Agreed.

I was on a 67 one night and a bunch of teenagers were shouting obscenities
to each other and out of the windows, noisily discussing vandalism ("Yeah
man, let's f*** the Met!") and the driver took no notice - or at least did
nothing. Though to be fair, he was heavily outnumbered.

Can't they make a call on the radio and get half a dozen cops/security guys
to board a few stops onwards, to make their presence felt?

As has been said before, this didn't happen when there were connies.

It's not just grafitti either. Some of the trams running out of Glen Huntly
depot have a lot of litter - bits of newspaper, bottles, cans etc

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au