Re: [Melb] Fines for private operator hit $5.9m

"D Lindstrom" <D_Lindstrom@Bigpond.com> wrote in message
V_276.699$65.6971@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:V_276.699$65.6971@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> The Melbourne Age reports today:
>
> One year after Victoria's public transport system was privatised, the
> state's biggest train and tram operator, National Express, has been fined
> total of $5.9 million for failing to meet punctuality and reliability
> targets on Bayside Trains, Swanston Trams and V/Line services.

Sounds like National Express are like this from state to state....they are
copping it in Sydney over Westbus' performance too.

> National Express yesterday blamed vandalism

Vandalism that seems to go unrepaired for prolonged periods of time.  I must
admit Connex do a much better job with repairs, but I guess Bayside's
operating area is more prone to vandalism.

> Transport Minister Peter Batchelor said he was unhappy with the
performance

....but what will he do about it?