Re: [General] Rules & Regulations under privatization

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:14:24 +1100, "Ronald BESDANSKY"
<ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:

>"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>3a6d6de8.1366780@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a6d6de8.1366780@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:30:14 +1100, "keith malcolm"
>> <kmalcolm@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>>

>> >Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> >3a6cfc2a.25305038@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a6cfc2a.25305038@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>> >>
>>.... Snip
>> The problem with the above is that who is the owner of RIC or of SRA
>> or of Freightcorp, ie who exactly is NSW DOT regulating?
>> In the case of where the NSW Govt is both owner and regulator and
>> where the Minister or Transport is both administering the Act and also
>> is the owner of the various Govt Rail organizations , then we have the
>> ludicrous situation of the Minister is regulating his own Rail
>> Authorities and Corporations ..
>
>Rail Infrastructure Corporation is presumably a statutory coprporation, no
>different to the Commissioner for Railways was, or the RTA etc. I'll have a
>look at the act (there is a good website http://www.austlii.edu.au/ where
>you can view/downlaod any Australian and some overseas legislation) to see
>if the corporation is "subject to the control and direction of the
>minister". If so, there is, indeed, a confict of interest. What we need is a
>completely indpendent railway safety authority, along the lines of the
>British railway Inspectorate.
>
>--
>Rgds
>
>Ron Besdansky
>(Computer system project manager and rail enthusiast)
>Ph: +61 (0)2 9413 1136 (0900h - 2300h UT +11h) (Home)
>      +61 (0)417 671 541 (0900h - 2300h UT +11 h) (Mobile)

The old RSA was a Govt owned Corporation , but not incorporated under
the Companies Act , as are Rail corporations like NRC and ARTC.
This meant that it was under the control of the Minister, ie the
minister could make directions which the Corporation was required to
follow.
I dont know about RIC?

You are right though in that we need a fully independant rail
regulator , and just one , not 6 as we currently have .
Its also important that the requirements to be a rail owner / rail
operator are fuly defined and comply with some sort of published
standards which the Act refers to.

When we had the Commissioners for Railways there were no such things
as Rail Safety Acts ,indeed I dont beleive there was any legislation
which allowed for the regulation of the Railways.

MD