Re: [General] Rules & Regulations under privatization

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3a6d6de8.1366780@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a6d6de8.1366780@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:30:14 +1100, "keith malcolm"
> <kmalcolm@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>

> >Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> >3a6cfc2a.25305038@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a6cfc2a.25305038@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> >> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:16:13 +1100, robson <robson@cia.com.au> wrote:
> >>
>.... Snip
> The problem with the above is that who is the owner of RIC or of SRA
> or of Freightcorp, ie who exactly is NSW DOT regulating?
> In the case of where the NSW Govt is both owner and regulator and
> where the Minister or Transport is both administering the Act and also
> is the owner of the various Govt Rail organizations , then we have the
> ludicrous situation of the Minister is regulating his own Rail
> Authorities and Corporations ..

Rail Infrastructure Corporation is presumably a statutory coprporation, no
different to the Commissioner for Railways was, or the RTA etc. I'll have a
look at the act (there is a good website http://www.austlii.edu.au/ where
you can view/downlaod any Australian and some overseas legislation) to see
if the corporation is "subject to the control and direction of the
minister". If so, there is, indeed, a confict of interest. What we need is a
completely indpendent railway safety authority, along the lines of the
British railway Inspectorate.

--
Rgds

Ron Besdansky
(Computer system project manager and rail enthusiast)
Ph: +61 (0)2 9413 1136 (0900h - 2300h UT +11h) (Home)
      +61 (0)417 671 541 (0900h - 2300h UT +11 h) (Mobile)