Re: [General] Rules & Regulations under privatization

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:30:14 +1100, "keith malcolm"
<kmalcolm@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>3a6cfc2a.25305038@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a6cfc2a.25305038@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:16:13 +1100, robson <robson@cia.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Since the NSW DOT administers the NSW Safety Act ,it should be the NSW
>> DOT that writes the rules and regulations,not the Rail Infrastructure
>> Corporation who are simply a rail owner.
>>
>> MD
>>

>The thing most people don't realise is, the DOT are purely a regulator, they
>oversee RIC as well as the operators. All owners, operators, and maintainers
>have to be accredited with the DOT, and work under their own accreditation
>agreements. Once each operator is accredited, the DOT only regulate each
>operator to their individual documents.  The rules and reg's are devised by
>the railway owner (RIC on the state system, BHP on their internal system
>etc). Each operator is accredited by the DOT as a NSW operator, this doesn't
>necessarily mean you can run on RIC or any other owners lines, you must also
>be accredited by the owner. It is, IMO, a bit of an over regulated bullshit
>system.

The problem with the above is that who is the owner of RIC or of SRA
or of Freightcorp, ie who exactly is NSW DOT regulating?
In the case of where the NSW Govt is both owner and regulator and
where the Minister or Transport is both administering the Act and also
is the owner of the various Govt Rail organizations , then we have the
ludicrous situation of the Minister is regulating his own Rail
Authorities and Corporations ..
Sir Humphrey would be pleased.

MD