Re: [General] Rules & Regulations under privatization

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:16:13 +1100, robson <robson@cia.com.au> wrote:

>Ronald BESDANSKY wrote:
>>
>> What about in (say) NSW, where the government owns the track
>> but it and private train operators use it?
>

>New South Wales has the Rail Safety Act 1993.
>Search for it at http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/

The problem with the NSW Rail Safety Act , and indeed most other
States versions of the samer Act is that its a totally imprecise piece
of legislation.
All Rail operators / Rail owners must be accredited under the Act,and
the Act lists various penalities which apply for failing to be
properly accredited, but no where does the Act define what
accreditation means
The Act simply defines accreditation as being a situation where the
Director General of Transport is satisfied that an organization is
accredited.
In other words ,compliance with the Act is totally subjective.

For example , what conditions would the Rail Infrastructure
Corporation have to meet in ordet to be accredited?

Since the NSW DOT administers the NSW Safety Act ,it should be the NSW
DOT that writes the rules and regulations,not the Rail Infrastructure
Corporation who are simply a rail owner.

MD