Re: [NSW] Five (in a car) thought dead after train crash

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:59:43 +1100, "Rod Gayford"
<rjaygee@eisa.net.au> wrote:

>I suppose at this location the XPT is doing its max which is born out by the
>report that it came to a halt 1.5 clicks from the level crossing.  The
>damage to the power car appears to be far more extensive than the last
>smash.  Has that power car been returned to service yet?  Where is Gregory
>exactly as I was driving back from Victoria yesterday and was near Yass at
>the time of the accident?
>Cheers
>Rod Gayford

Gerogery is the 2nd crossing loop north of Albury.
There is a very small town , 1 pub and a shop.
The level crossing in question is on the Albury side of the down end
of Gerogery crossing loop.and has a fairly bad record for accidents.
Its on a long straight section of line and the XPT would have been
doing 160 Km/H.
I travel this route pretty often , and the crossing visibility is good
and so are the flashing lights.
How you could not see them is hard to understand.
The only odd thing about the level crossing is that it is on a dog leg
, ie if you are heading towards Albury ,you turn left ,cross the line
,then turn right .
The road is largely running parallel to the line.
                                               road

                                    crossing

=========> To Albury.

I hope this comes out OK.