Re: [NSW] Five (in a car) thought dead after train crash

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3a7365d9.10901158@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a7365d9.10901158@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:59:43 +1100, "Rod Gayford"
> <rjaygee@eisa.net.au> wrote:

>> I suppose at this location the XPT is doing its max which is born
>> out by the report that it came to a halt 1.5 clicks from the
>> level crossing.  The damage to the power car appears to be far
>> more extensive than the last smash.  Has that power car been
>> returned to service yet?  Where is Gregory exactly as I was
>> driving back from Victoria yesterday and was near Yass atthe time
>> of the accident?

> Gerogery is the 2nd crossing loop north of Albury.
> There is a very small town , 1 pub and a shop.
> The level crossing in question is on the Albury side of the down
> end of Gerogery crossing loop.and has a fairly bad record for
> accidents.
> Its on a long straight section of line and the XPT would have been
> doing 160 Km/H.
> I travel this route pretty often , and the crossing visibility is
> good and so are the flashing lights.
> How you could not see them is hard to understand.
> The only odd thing about the level crossing is that it is on a dog
> leg, ie if you are heading towards Albury ,you turn left ,cross
> the line ,then turn right .
> The road is largely running parallel to the line.

Especially for Tezza's benifit I've taken this opportunity to reformat the
picture for fixed width font users.

>                                       road
>         line          |===================
> ---------------------|--------------------
>                        crossing
>
> =========> To Albury.
>
> I hope this comes out OK.

Tezza should be happy now... |-)

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - eight two three two nine seven three four
Phone - long, short, long, long.