Re: [NSW] Five (in a car) thought dead after train crash

----------
In article <MPG.14e0c747721abd33989681@news.iprimus.com.au>, Graeme
<grimegrime@hotmailremove.com> wrote:

>In article <3a75ffb8$0$16378$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
>alpout@optusnet.com.au says...
>>
>> Patrick <patrick@trafficgiant.net> wrote in message
>> 950hp9$7k5$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:950hp9$7k5$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>> > Also on ABC: "Rail accident sparks call for safety review"
>> >
>> > "The call from the Highway Safety Action Group follows yesterday's
>> > collision between an XPT train and a car near Albury, in which five
>> > people were killed."
>> >
>> > "'I think that if the non-operational lines around the country were
>Amazing what the average non rail fan can sum up about a railway line in
>the average period of 17 seconds from when that train hits the approach
>to when it arrives at the crossing proper.
>Not having boom gates on a line that has 160kmh traffic is utter
>stupidity.Its unsafe for the passengers of the train and certainly
>detrimental to road vehicles.

They have accident blackspots in Victoria, where various intersections have
been highlighted as being dangerous and corrective action is often sought,
ie improved light timing, grade separation if it is a level crossing,
installing traffic lights. Vicroads don't sit around saying 'well if people
drove more sensibly.....'.
Given the number of accidents the XPT is experiencing at crossings,
considering upgrading crossings in areas of high speed running should be
high. What does an accident like this cost in both monetary and emotional
terms, probably as much or more than the cost of installing booms.
It may be just a matter of time before the XPT gets unlucky and the death
toll rises dramatically in a crossing accident. By then it will be too late,
rail will suffer the poor publicity, after all the media always report
'train hits car' (naughty train)

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne